Saint Anna Catholic School
Our History: Celebrating over 60 years of faith, knowledge and tradition!
The idea of opening a parish school began shortly after World War II. Children of St. Anna Parish were enrolled in other parochial schools in Leominster, but, due to overcrowded conditions city-wide, those parochial schools were forced to limit their enrollment to the children of their own parishes.
The parishioners of St. Anna decided to begin their own school by constructing two classrooms in the church hall. As St. Anna School became a reality, the parish called upon the Venerini Religious Teachers, associated with the parish since 1952, to staff the proposed school. The doors of St. Anna School opened for the first time in September 1953 as 40 pre-primary children and 40 first graders entered the new classrooms to be greeted by the Venerini Sisters.
Each year a new classroom was added by using portable dividers (which also served as blackboards). Hot lunches for the students were prepared daily in the kitchen of the church hall. The classes were large, the teachers young and dedicated. Each day, twice a day, parishioners volunteered to drive the sisters to and from their convent in Fitchburg.
Enthusiasm for the new school continued to build, and the parish decided to build a new school building adjacent to the rectory on Lancaster Street, across from the church. Ground was broken, and dedication ceremonies for St. Anna School and Auditorium were held on September 8, 1957. The new building would house nine classrooms, a cafeteria, and a combination gymnasium and auditorium. The first eighth grade class graduated from St. Anna School in June, 1961.
In 1987, plans were finalized for the construction of a "Little Red Schoolhouse", and it opened the same year, In 2010, the Little Red Schoolhouse became the home for the PreK3 and PreK4 programs. Kindergarten through Grade 8 classrooms are in the main building.
St. Anna Catholic School continues to flourish because of the dedication and hard work of the faculty and administration. Together, we create an educational environment that promotes academic excellence in an atmosphere of faith and Christian values. We look forward to another 60 years in the service of our Church, our community and our children.